Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Art of Writing Battle Scenes

So, I've been working on this story about superheroes (it is completely unrelated to the one I previously made available on my blog).   To make it even nerdier, it's about me and some of my friends as superheroes.   Now, there is a long back story about how I came to be writing this, but we'll leave that for another post. 

Anyway, the reason I bring it up is I've sort of hit a wall.   You see, I can't write battle scenes.  Either they're over simple(e.g. D punched M, but M dodged, etc.) or they're too technical(e.g. D leaped into the air from a cat stance to deliver a flying front snap kick, only to be diverted by M's single knife-hand block, which threw him off balance and sent him tumbling).   The first one is boring, but the second one will loose readers in technical jargon, unless they read up on all the styles of martial arts that will be featured(i.e. krav maga, sambo, tae kwon do, judo, ido, kendo, jiu jitsu, zui chuan, kick-boxing, archery, and a few others).  

Maybe I'll just skip out on the writing of these particular scenes and just resort to illustrating them in a comic strip!  I jest, of course, as my illustrations in this area are also deficient.

*sigh*  What is a young, enthusiastic writer to do?

Well, as I have only ever finished two of my stories, I am quite determined to conquer this.  So I will continue researching martial arts styles, maybe read a few books with epic hand-to-hand combat and get back to you on that.

In other news, today is apparently National Coffee Day.  Personally, I think that coffee is disgusting, but for those of you who love it, you might be able to get free coffee on this day (according to this site: http://www.punchbowl.com/holidays/national-coffee-day)  Personally, I'm a bit skeptical about the entire holiday as Wikipedia doesn't seem to know anything about it, but I won't be a hater.  Enjoy your coffee, if you can, and have a happy National Coffee Day!

No comments: