Sunday, January 20, 2008

Prayer, Love, and Music

In these past few days, I have come to understand a bit more what it means to love the Lord. There is an overwhelming peace, because I know that He is with me. I know that He is omnipotent and all loving, so there is no fear in His mighty presence. There is, however, an extraordinary sense of awe and wonder. How can this be, that the wonderful, magnificent, beautiful, and perfect Creator of the Universe would deign to bestow His favor on me, a mere creation? Compared to Him, I am so insignificant and yet, He lifts me from my humanness and holds me close to His heart.

His presence floods my senses like incense and sweet music. I cannot even begin to fathom His infinite nature. He is so far above me. My souls is overflowing with joy each time He reveals a new parts of His glorious self to me. It exceeds my mind's capacity to understand how such a great being can even exist. Never ending? All powerful? All loving? What do these things truly mean?

A I grow in His love, I learn a little bit more about Him. I am fortunate, too, that I learn in such tiny increments, because any larger and my being could not contain such joy. He lovingly meets me where I'm at and draws me gently toward Himself. I am unbelievably honored. How blessed I am! What are the sorrows of the world in the face of such joys?

It is not as if my sorrows vanish, for they are still present, but He shows me how to let them go and I slowly understand. Little by little, my mind takes hold of the concept of joyful suffering. For the Holy Trinity wishes to share in my sorrows as well as my joys. Through the mystery of the Incarnation, Christ has shared in all our sufferings and understands our temptations. "For we have not a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin." [Hebrews 4:15]

Therefore, I approach Him, in all my human imperfection, with confidence in His loving mercy and I long for the day when my soul may be united with Him in Heaven. My soul yearns to grow ever closer to our precious Lord. How could it not? The sweet music of His love is ever calling me to His side. With His grace, I will answer, "Behold, I have come to do Your will, O God." [Hebrews 10:5]

No comments: